Thursday, May 17, 2012

Kindergarten college days







Back in January I e-mailed everyone to get the name of the college they went to, or the name of a college they support.  I e-mailed all of those colleges and asked for them to send some goodies to our class to get the kindergartners excited about going to college.  Some school sent stuff for all of the kids, others sent a few items that we used as prizes, and some did not respond.  Most colleges wrote wonderful notes saying how they love getting kids so young excited about college.  One school though wrote, "We do not give things out to children so young!"  We started our day with a book about LSU (sorry...I couldn't resist) Then we did our end of the year writing assessment trying to make no mistakes so one day when we wrote our college admission essay we would know that we have been practicing writing for a long time and we are good at it!  The kids wrote furiously for 20 minutes and it was AWESOME!  They were supposed to write what they would do for the summer.  When they were done, one kids said "Oh no, we were supposed to write about the summer?  I wrote about college."  "No problem" I said.  The point was that we were writing.  He wrote (sorry I don't have his paper in front of me to did the actual spelling), "I will go to Louisiana for college.  I will have fun and visit Ms. Baker's family."  Another kid wrote, "I will go to first grade and then one day college.  What will I do there?  I don't know."  How awesome are these kids!?  Each kid got to pick a college prize for their writing then we ended the day with a college word find made by our 3rd grade buddies, pictures of college, and a college goodie bag!  What a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment